Friday, December 5, 2008

Disappointed with The Godfather III

**http://www.gonemovies.com/WWW/TopFilms/Godfather/Godf3MaryKogel.jpg
After watching The Godfather and realizing my obsession with the film, I had to watch the II and III Godfather movies. I watched them with my mom (my dad watched part of them and fell asleep sometimes), so it was really fun to watch. I had to explain things to her, which was great because I was so excited about The Godfather.
I was throroughly disappointed with Godfather III. The content was awful. I should be happy, as a Christain, that Michael was trying to make up for all the crimes he committed and that he was trying to turn his life around by spending time with his family and with the church. However, I wasn't. I was angry. The Godfather for me is the thrill and intrigue of the crime families, not about how they want to make up for everything! I feel horrible by saying that, but it's true! Alright, well perhaps some of it was because of the acting. Sofia Coppola played Michael's daughter, Mary, and was terrible. Somebody told me that she is Francis Ford Coppola's daughter, which makes sense, sure he wants to put his daughter in film, but what about cinematic excellence and the excellence found in The Godfather? Also, I thought it was kind of ridiculous that there was a romance between Mary and Vincent, who are first cousins. (When they makeout in Vincent's kitchen my mom said to me, "Wow, did you expect that?")

The action was not as good either. It was a slower paced movie in the sense of fighting or crime that was acutally taking place. However, there were two scenes of fighting that I thought were of the standard of The Godfather. First, the scene where all of the family head's were in the meeting and the helicopter flies above the building and starts shooting with machine guns. I did not necessary enjoy that part, but it was crime worthy of The Godfather. The second crime scene was when Vincent killed the man during a parade while pretending to be a police officer on a horse.

I was paying so much attention to the content that ticked me off that I don't think I even paid attention to the other parts of film like cinematogrpahy and mise en scene. I really just think that some III parts to movies just shouldn't be made unless they are going to spend enough time and energy to make it just as good as the first.




Note: The suprise of Mary being killed at the end was a good twist. I didn't want it to happen, but that was good for the film as a whole.

1 comment:

Kevin M said...

I totally agree with you, Grace. GFIII is a big disappointment (and I lay a lot of it in Sophia Coppola's lap, although it also lacks some of the originality of the first two, which might be inevitable for a long-delayed second sequel--at least, it's not surprising). I will say, though, that after watching it many times, I've been able to enjoy it a little more. I guess it has something to do with setting a different standard for it. If I compare it to the other two movies, it doesn't match up. But if I compare it to other movies coming out in the early 1990s, it's actually pretty strong.