Wednesday, October 1, 2008

The Godfather: I'm gonna make you an offer you can't refuse...


****see below for picture info.
I loved The Godfather. This film had my attention the whole way through. There were many things I liked about it, which included different camera shots (especially the beating up of and murder of Carlo, as morbid as that is), character types and character development. Most of all, I was intrigued by the thought of being a part of a Mafia family. I felt like I was included in the Corleone family and I was definitely “rooting” for them, even though they were full of crime, corruption that affected the larger community of New York.

One of the main reasons why I felt like part of the family was because of point-of-view. As a whole, the film took the Corleone family’s point-of-view. This gives partial reason as to why I was on their side. If the film had been taking place from one of the over five family’s point of view I would probably be rooting for them.

Other than point-of-view, I was mystified by how these Mafia families work. They are a business as well as a family. The shocking horse head scene in the beginning did not defer me from the family, but rather it drew me in—I was thinking, wow, I don’t want to be on this family’s bad side! I realized that the Corleone family takes care of their own. This concept was also seen throughout Connie’s issue of being beaten and Sonny wanted to protect/get vengeance for her.

Perhaps the shock value of the scenes also drew me to the family. Maybe the more shocking action (crime/murder) a family member would do for other members of the family made me feel a deeper connection. When Michael killed Sollozzo and McCluskey it was shocking, but also built the bond between Michael and his father, which created a stronger bond with me and the family.

My bond and loyalty to the Corleone’s built stronger as Michael’s character developed into a more family man. See, Michael’s character seemed to be like me (and other members of the audience). I liked the family, but was not really sure about the whole Mafia thing, but by the end, like Michael, I was completely submerged. It was as if Michael’s journey was also my journey, as a member of the audience.



Note: I do not want to be a part of the Mafia; I just really enjoyed The Godfather.

2 comments:

Jenn said...

Grace wants to be in the Mafia! Haha, I like your little disclaimer at the end, and the tough-looking picture of you. I must agree though, the movie was definitely captivating. The film seemed to glorify the Mafia and the art of "the family business," even though that business is corrupt and terrible. I also think Michael was the most captivating character, and it was amazing to watch his transformation.

Kevin M said...

I'd be interested to hear your response to the Godfather, part II. It's an incredible movie, one of the few examples of a sequel that is as good as, if not better than, the original. But the family is in crisis in Part II, and the whole atmosphere is darker and more disturbing. I have to say that I never would have predicted this reaction from you! :-)